Breathtaking Lake Maggiore, Italy’s second largest lake, is Mediterranean in climate and has a backdrop of the Alps in the distance. The west bank is in the Italian region of Piedmont and the east is in Lombardy. In the north Lake Maggiore crosses the Swiss border into the canton of Ticino. Ferries criss-cross the lake from one delightful harbour to the next, passing picturesque lakeside villages with their bustling promenades and some also sail into Switzerland .There are markets to visit, shops and boutiques to browse around, colourful gardens to explore and pavement cafes to relax in as you watch the world go by.
Stresa is a delightful, traditional Italian lakeside resort which has been popular with artists and writers since the late 19th century. It lies in a favoured position in the sheltered Pallanza Bay, on the western shores of the lake. There is a traffic-free Old Town with pavement cafes, ice-cream parlours and restaurants. Beautiful villas and gardens line the shores of the lake and semi-tropical flowers flourish in the mild climate, giving this area a real Mediterranean flavour.
Our itinerary perfectly balances time exploring (we’ll visit Lake Como and Lake Orta, spend a day in Switzerland visiting Zermatt at the foot of the Matterhorn mountain and sail across Lake Maggiore to the Borromean Islands) with time at leisure to soak up Lake Maggiore’s charms.
This is a wonderful, relaxing holiday which combines truly stunning scenery and the old-world charm of Italy’s most beautiful lake. Lake Maggiore has a mild, Mediterranean climate year round and the region enjoys 280 days of sunshine a year.Dates and Prices
Included in price
- Change your booking for free up to 42 days before travel
- Covid Cancellation protection included
- 7 nights half board at the Hotel della Torre in Stresa
- 14 meals: 7 breakfasts, 7 dinners
- Twin or double bedrooms with en-suite bathroom
- Half Day Excursion by boat to the Borromean Islands
- Full Day Excursion to Lake Como and Bellagio
- Full Day Excursion to Switzerland visiting Zermatt
- Half Day Excursion to Lake Orta and boat trip to the island of San Giorgio
- Return flights to Milan
- One piece of hold luggage and one piece of hand luggage per person
- Transfers between the airport and the Hotel
- Air-conditioned coach travel in Italy
- Services of a Mistral Holidays Tour Manager
- ATOL protected