The soaring snow-capped peaks in the north give way to gentle rolling hills and colourful sub-tropical lakeside gardens and promenades to the south. Imagine the bright blue waters lapping at the elegant shores, surrounded by fine walks, imposing villas and beautiful parks and gardens filled with exotic flowers - giving this area a real Mediterranean flavour - and you’ve got the picture.
All around the lake there are sheltered bays, charming lakeside resorts and peaceful fishing villages. There are weekly markets to visit, shops and boutiques to browse around, colourful gardens to explore and pavement cafes to relax in as you watch the world go by. We stay in the pretty resort of Cadenabbia, which is perfectly placed on the western shore of the lake and is ideal for enjoying everything the lake offers.
It’s easy to get around from Cadenabbia, with lots of ferries criss-crossing the lake from one delightful harbour to the next, while steamers and local buses can take you to some of the lakeside towns and villages further along the lake. The nearby Villa Carlotta is well worth visiting. Built in the early 18th century, the Villa is renowned for its beautiful gardens, which extend over 14 acres. Inside the villa are some superb sculptures and works of art by Antonio Canova.
A boat trip to Bellagio, sometimes called the ‘pearl of the lake’, is a definite “must do”. The old town is a jumble of cobbled lanes and stepped streets lined with stylish boutiques, wine bars and craft shops selling locally produced handicrafts including olive wood carvings and woven silk. Little known Varenna, just across the lake from Bellagio, is practically as unspoilt as its neighbour and is an ideal village for wandering around. There are meandering lakeside paths and the walk up to the 13th century Monastery Villa will reward you with some fine views over the eastern arm of Lake Como. However you choose to spend your time and however much you see, you will find that you will want to return to beautiful Lake Como, again and again!Dates and Prices
Included in price
- Change your booking for free up to 42 days before travel
- Covid Cancellation protection included
- ATOL Protected
- 14 nights accommodation in a ‘Comfort’ twin bedroom with private facilities
- Return flights to Milan
- One piece of hold luggage and one piece of hand luggage per person
- Transfers between Airport and Hotel
- Hot and Cold buffet breakfasts
- 4 course buffet lunches
- 4 course buffet dinners
- ‘Show Cooking’ at lunch and dinner, including pasta, pizza, meat and fish
- Picnic lunches available on request
- FREE BAR serving local brand wines, spirits, beers, soft drinks, tea & coffee from 10.30am – midnight
- Music most evenings
- 24/7 access to our UK Customer Services team